Dry ice cleaning
What is dry ice cleaning?
Dry ice cleaning is a revolutionary cleaning method where dry ice (CO2 compressed into a solid form) is used as a blasting product. The process is a particularly eco-friendly, effective and time saving alternative for traditional industrial cleaning methods.
The cleaning process consists of three phases:
- Mechanical. The dry ice grains accelerate in the air flow and pound against the undesired deposits at high speed, thus removing these.
- Thermally. The low temperature of the dry ice (-79.5 C) makes the deposit brittle and causes cracks, thus making it possible to remove the deposit.
- Sublimation. When the dry ice grains touch the surface, they sublimate from a solid form into a gas. The volume thus increases 700 times, causing the deposit to "explode".
What is peculiar of dry ice, the appearance of small grains (pellets), is because it is a completely natural product. It is a solid form of carbon dioxide (CO2) and is withdrawn from the air. After use, it "evaporates" again and the CO2 disappears into the air. This CO2 emission does not contribute to the hot-house effect on earth, as it only involves carbon dioxide recycling. We are just "borrowing" the CO2 from nature, returning it again after use.
What are the benefits of dry ice?
- A dry cleaning process. Dry ice cleaning is a completely dry process, since the dry ice comprises of CO2 and therefore evaporates if it comes into contact with the surface.
- No waste. The process leaves no waste products behind. Only the deposit which must be removed must be sucked up or swept away.
- Environmentally friendly. With dry ice cleaning, no chemicals are used and it is therefore not poisonous at all.
- Soft. Dry ice cleaning has no abrasive effect and is soft on the surface.
- Higher productivity. Down time is limited because time consuming dismantling and consecutive assembly is not necessary, as the machine can mostly be cleaned on-line. Thus the effective production time is increased.
- Effective. Difficult to reach places can also be cleaned using various spray nozzles and cleaning speeds.
- Cost-saving. Less down time, increased production quality, cleaning eventually without dismantling, lower wage costs for cleaning and eco-polluting materials are not needed.